Grim Shadow

by MDK

Backstory

Introduction:

Right. This little document is a collection of fun little facts and character information that relates to my new fanfic, "Grim Shadow". It contains (in the order they're written down):

> Backstory
> Character Biographies
> Misc. Info – useful
> Misc. Info – useless
> Plot Hints (WARNING! MAY RUIN COOL BITS OF STORY!)


Backstory:

"Grim Shadow" follows on from the story of the third series of the Digimon Anime, Tamers. Ten years have passed since the D-Reaper was reverted back into it's original code and sent back to the digital world – for all intents and purposes, destroyed forever. The World has recovered from the onslaught, and everybody has forgotten about the digimon, with the exception of the old tamers (Takato, Henry, Rika, Suzie, Kazu, Kenta and Jeri), their families and the people who worked on the Hypnos project.

The story Begins in Current-day England, with one person lying in a state of semi-awakeness in his bedroom. Other Than that... well, you're just going to have to read the story, aren't you? ;-)

 

Biographies:

Name: Rydan Keyes
Age: 17
A College student in the UK, Rydan was born in England, and is half-Scottish. A quiet, intelligent person, he keeps to himself a lot, and is easily distracted from his college work. He often complains that he's doing far too much work, and that he has no time to spend with his friends. A Happy-Go-Lucky Person most of the time, but he can be prone to the occasional bout of moody depression.

Rydan is 6' 2", with short brown hair and glasses. He's a naturally thin person, and complains about it, saying that no matter how much he eats he still stays skinny. Usually found wearing a pair of baggy jeans and an ever-changing T-shirt, as well as a huge coat for when it gets cold.


Name: Ciara Aella
Age: 19
Also a college student in the UK, Ciara is irish, with the Iron liver that comes with all the Irish. A rather eccentric person who always says what she's thinking, Ciara is a good friend to everyone she knows.

At 5' 7", Ciara sits in the middle height wise between Rydan and Dave. She has long Dark hair that has a slight curl to it, and is usually left to its own devices. She's always moaning that she's getting a belly, although nobody has actually managed to see a belly forming yet. Usually found in black or dark clothes of some description, with a white furry coat for the cold, which shocked everybody when she bought it.

 

Name: Kevin 'Cody' Onama
Age: 18
Kevin (Or Cody, as everyone calls him) is a professional web designer with many accolades already under his belt. His knowledge of computers is extraordinary, and he has the rather useful talent of being able to create what he imagines. A Kind and generous person, Cody is always doing what he can to help others.

Being 5' 8", Cody manages to sit in the middle of the height gap with Ciara. The extra inch of height he has over Ciara seems to irritate her somewhat. Cody has spiky dark brown hair, with the odd strand or two that always accepts that gravity want to pull it to the floor, and flops down. Invariably found in Jeans and a blue t-shirt of some form, Cody is never without some form of electronic gizmo, usually his laptop.



Name: Kimmy Onama
Age: 16
Kimmy is Cody's younger sister, and exactly the opposite of him. She's an art student at her local school, and is useless with computers. Quick to make friends, Kimmy is almost universally liked. She and Ciara are almost always at loggerheads, though, usually over petty things, such as Ciara's flat-out refusal to wear pink.

Measuring in at 5' 4", kimmy is one of the shortest members of the group, second only to Dave. Always found wearing something pink, with a seemingly un-endless supply of shoes. Kimmy is also always found wearing a leather cap, which covers a surprising amount of her long, blonde hair.

 

Name: Dave Ureshi
Age: 20
An apprentice electrician by trade, Dave is a good-natured person with a passion for anime of all types. He's the sort of person that would seem right at home living in Japan. Open minded and full of creativity, Dave also works as a cartoonist part-time, drawing his own comic strips. A man of action by nature, Dave and Cody often argue, especially when it come to figuring out what to do next.

Coming in at only 5' 1" tall, Dave is by far the smallest of the group. However, his size is deceptive, as he has a knack for appearing taller than he really is. Dave has long black hair, often tied back in a ponytail. It has been remarked more than once that with his hair down, he poses an eerie resemblance to Ciara. Found wearing Jeans and a grubby T-shirt without fail, whatever the weather.

 

Misc. Information – Useful:

Due to the Story Being set in modern day England, international readers (IE, anyone outside of the UK) will be rather confused by the ages of the characters and the fact that some of them are at college. Well, in England, we stay at school until we're 16 – in the final year of school (Year 11, as it's known), we take GCSE's, and then stay at school (in what's known as a sixth-form) or go to college, where we do Our A-levels (also Known as GCE's – one step up from GCSE's). As far as I can tell, most of the rest of the world leaves school at 18 and goes off to college then, and it's the equivalent of going to university over here in GB.

Heh, you've just learnt something useless about the UK schools system! Bet you didn't see that coming!

The 'Mod' in 'D-Mod' means modular – basically, it means "Modular Digivice". Why does it mean that? Ah, well, that would be spoiling the plot!

There's a brand new form of digivolution that's been made up just for this series – it's called Augment Digivolving, and its way cool. And innovative to boot!


Misc. Information – useless but fun/interesting stuff:

The college that most of the characters attend really exists – It's Bridgewater college in the south west of England – the web site is http://www.bridgwater.ac.uk/, if you're interested in finding out more. It's the college I attend!

Most of the characters are based on people that I know from college – for example, Ciara is a very good friend of mine, and that *really* is her name!

Ciara's name is pronounced the same way as "Kira" – that's 'Key-Ra', if you didn't know! Also, she is *not* based on the user ciara on the RXN forums - that's just a coincidence. She's based on a person I know at college, who is, suprisingly, called ciara.

Hmm… Well, this isn’t *really* info... But, It’s a couple of pictures of the D-Mod. One Digitaly enhanced (to clean it up a bit, and no pun intended :-D) and one just as it was drawn. I just Hope I can get the images working properly :-)

Enhanced Picture Of The D-Mod

Un-Enhanced Drawing of the D-Mon (Including top-view)



Digidestined Digimon


Rydan: Rydan's digimon is a yellow male Renamon. Unlike the female renamon who is partnered with rika in tamers, rydan's renamon is a free spirit, much more likley to do what he wants, just like rydan. However, he is extremeley loyal to rydan and the other digidestined, and will never back down from a fight.

Ciara: Ciara is partnered with a DemiGatomon. White and female, just like Ggatomon that is paired with kari in adventure one and two, gatomon is mucht he same as she ever was. A rookie level digimon, this digimon never actualy digivolves into gatomon, and is only so named because of the striking resemblance to the champion level gatomon.

Kimmy: A fashion mad teenager and a Tapirmon would seem like an unusual pairing, but Tapirmon acts like an exact oposite to kimmy, acting as the voice of reason when she gets into heated arguments. FLoating a few feet above the ground, Tapirmon has no feet - a fact that greatly irritates kimmy, as he can't wear any kind of shoes.

Cody: The winged patomon is the partner of cody. Due to having almost identical personalities, these two are perfect companions, and become inseperable. In fact, cody and patomon have already met, but that's for later on in the plot ;-)

Dave: Partnered with Gomamon. Cute, loveable and with a rapier-like wit, gomamon is the perfect partner for dave, who has exactly the same personality traits. Many nights of loud singing will undoubtedley become of these two livley partners.

So, to put it in a nice handy package, the digidestined are partnered with:
Rydan - Renamon
Ciara - DemiGatomon
Kimmy - Tapirmon
Cody - Patamon
Dave - Gomamon


Plot Hints:

Okay. These are the plot hints, and they will give little insights into what's going to happen – but, I'd rather you didn't read them. Why? Well, I want everyone who reads this to enjoy the story as much as they can, and that would require the bits below to be a surprise – which they obviously won't be if you read the spoilers!!!

So, Only read these if you don't care about the plot! (Note – you're gona have to scroll down for this. I wrote this IN MS Word, and it was on a different page. However, I had to convert it to HTML format, so it doesn't show different pages...)

















































































D-Mods:

D-Mods can morph into different objects – each person's D-mod can morph into something unique to them, IE, Rydan's D-Mod Morphs into a sword. Allows partner digimon to digivolve, but they can't digivolve while D-Mod is Morphed. Can detect portals in the real world.

Evil Digimon:

The digimon aren't really bad. They're data has been corrupted by a virus injected into them, making them evil. The only way to clean the code is to destroy the digimon, and upload the code into a D-Mod, where the virus can be purged.

Augment Digivolving:

After the data of digimon has been purged in a digivice, it remains until the digimon can be reconfigured at primary village. Certain powerful digimon poses the ability to lend their strength to another digimon – if their code is stored in a digivice, the digimon partner of the tamer who owns the digivice can merge it's own code with that of the digimon in the digivice. Essentially, the digimon that is digivolving draws strength and code from the stored data, augmenting it's ultimate form with new powers and 'physical' features – similar to what happened to beelzemon in season three, when he absorbed the data of rapidmon and taumon.

The Virus:

A virus is infecting digimon, turning them evil – It spreads from digimon to digimon; when a digimon infected by the virus defeats another in a battle (It doesn't matter if it's destroyed or simply knocked out) then the virus gets uploaded, and the attacked digimon joins to forces of evil.

The virus can be traced back to one very powerful digimon – I'm not writing it down, as I Simply haven't decided yet :-D

The source of the Virus:

As said above, the source of the virus is a powerful digimon – but, this digimon has been infected by the virus, and is also being used as a puppet by the real enemy behind it. The real enemy is.....

... . The D-Reaper. When it was reverted to its original form, its data was distorted going back through the wormhole. The wormhole sent it into a different part of space-time, to a void somewhere between the digital world and the real world, far enough away to prevent interaction with most digimon and humans, but close enough to corrupt members of both races to its cause of destruction... And to send code back and forth. Due to it being the same program as before, it evolved again, this time into an even more sinister being... Once again, it decided that the digital world had to be destroyed.... But this time, it recognised digidestined in the digital world. From the void in space that it inhabited, it plotted and planned the destruction of both worlds. Siphoning off parts of its own code, it created a virus to infect other digimon and control them for its own gain. The virus spread slowly at first, with the infected digimon lurking in the shadows of the digital plane, remaining undetected for long periods of time. Now, though, the infected digimon are rampaging through the digital world in force, infecting all they find and corrupting their data. Their sights are now firmly set upon freeing the D-reaper and Opening a portal to the real world... and destroying everything in existence.

Heh. Well, that's all for now. There is one more plot twist that I *could* reveal... but that's just far too big for me to tell you. You'll just have to wait for that one :-D But rest assured, you won't expect it! ^_^